Meetings


NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

MINUTES

NOVEMBER 15, 2020

The meeting was called to order by club President Frank Forster at 6:02 p.m. in Smith Hall. Members present included Bob &

Lee Rutigliano, Lynne Ricardo, John & Adrienne Rollo, Alden Wattles, Dick Hargreaves and Frank Duggan.

The minutes of the October 18, 2020 meeting were approved as written.

The Treasurer’s Report was also approved as presented.

Discussion took place on whether or not to renew an honorary membership for Doug Nile who has donated his time and

equipment to the club on various occasions. It was determined that other people have also donated their time as well to help

the club; therefore it was decided that instead of honorary memberships, exceptional levels of assistance to the club will be

rewarded with a gift card.

OLD BUSINESS:

● The dilapidated bridge on Carl Knight’s property has finally been replaced with a culvert. Many thanks

to Les Jordan in Kingfield for donating a 36” culvert to our club.

● TRAIL WORK - it was reported that much of the trail system has been cleared. The East Trail is

completely cleared. Some areas of the West Trail and the Taylor Hill Trail still need to be done.

Certain areas need to freeze before access can be gained.

● PORTER LAKE - Steve Philbrick informed the club that on/off access to the lake through his property

will be available for one more season. We will need to find another route next year.

NEW BUSINESS:

● The New Vineyard Library has made a formal request for a donation from our club. The club voted ‘No’

to this request but will make a donation to the Care and Share Food Closet in Farmington instead.

The next meeting will be held on Sunday, December 13th at 6 p.m. Sadly due to Covid-19, we will not be celebrating the

Christmas holiday with our annual Yankee Swap. Hopefully we will be able to celebrate next year.

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:37 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

Secretary


NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

October 18, 2020

MINUTES

The meeting was called to order by President Frank Forster at 6:14 p.m. in Smith Hall. Members

present included Bob & Lee Rutigliano, Alden & Ann Wattles, John & Adrienne Rollo, David

Fletcher and Hugh & Monica Rooney.

The minutes of the September 13, 2020 meeting were approved as presented.

The Treasurer’s Report was also approved as presented.

Bob Rutigliano also distributed new membership cards for the 2020-2021 season as well as raffle

tickets for MSA.

OLD BUSINESS:

The bridge on Carl Knight’s property continues to be in need of repair.

Roadside signs from DOT on Route 27. Discussion took place as to the best solution for

placement of the requested signs. DOT has requested 200 feet of sight distance in order to meet

basic safety requirements in a 55 MPH zone. If that were to be accomplished, we would lose the

benefit of crossing the highway into a plowed driveway versus crossing over a snowbank. The

club concluded that it is safer to keep the current trail crossing than to move to another location

without the benefit of a driveway to enter into. Hence, no signs will be posted in this location.

NEW BUSINESS:

SLEDS - Alden reported that all sleds were completely serviced last year and all equipment is

ready for this season.

LIMB MASHER - Dave Fletcher proposed purchasing a Merrill limb masher to attach to a

4-wheeler or other equipment to remove trailside brush. It was reported that the Strong S.C.

uses a similar attachment. Alden will check it out. The club also voted to allow up to $2,000 for

the purchase of such an attachment.

PORTER LAKE - Alden will check with Steve Philbrick regarding the availability of the on/off

lake trail that runs through his lakeside property. A new ramp may be needed in this location

if the old one cannot be found.

SIGNAGE - a request was made for better signage to indicate the trail on and off Porter Lake.

TRAIL WORK - it was agreed to begin trail work immediately. The first work party of the

season will meet at Our Village Market on Sunday, October 25th at 1 p.m. Bridge repair on

Carl Knight’s property will be the first project.

Also trail worksheets are available from Adrienne Rollo. Please call 652-6330 for additional

worksheets.

TIMBER MATS - Frank reported that Maine Timber Mats in New Portland are giving away old

mats. Frank and Alden will check out the feasibility of using these mats for our trail system.

Dave offered the use of a flatbed trailer to haul the mats if necessary.

OTHER:

CLUB WEBSITE - Bob Rutigliano announced that our club has a website. It can be found by

googling ‘New Vineyard North Snowmobile Club.’ Thanks to Bob for maintaining this

website.

The next meeting will be held on Sunday, November 15th at 6 p.m. in Smith Hall.

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:12 p.m,

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

Secretary


NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

MINUTES

September 13, 2020

This is our first meeting of the season. President Frank Forster called the meeting to order at 2 PM at the home of Adrienne and John Rollo. Members also present included Lynne Ricardo, Bob and Lee Rutigliano.

The minutes of the March 22, 2020 meeting were approved as written.

ELECTION OF OFFICERS:

President Frank Forster

Vice President Al Thurlow

Secretary Adrienne Rollo

Treasurer Bob Rutigliano

Trail Master Alden Wattles

Directors at Large Lee Rutigliano and Glenda Hargreaves

Membership Chair Bob Rutigliano and Jan Thurlow

MSA Directors Adrienne Rollo and Lynne Ricardo

Safety Officer Alden Wattles

Club Reporter Richard Hargreaves

OLD BUSINESS:

We are still working on the bridge on Carl Knight’s property.

Roadside Signs: we are still working on what is the best solution for the placement of the signs and our trail to get the 200 feet sight distance on Route 27 just south of Bog Road that was the request of the Maine DOT.

NEW BUSINESS:

Any and all mail addressed to our club will now be sent to PO Box 82.

We had discussed getting a CD, and our club now has a 6 month CD thanks to Bob Rutigliano.

Our next meeting will be held on Sunday, October 18th at 6 PM in Smith Hall.

Our meeting was adjourned at 2:25 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Lynne Ricardo, Secretary


New Vineyard North Snowmobile Club

April 7, 2019: Minutes of Meeting

The Club met in the Conference Room of the New Vineyard Public Library beginning at 6:00 P.M. with a “Pizza Party”. Vice President, Al Thurlow’ opened the meeting at 6:30 with Lynne Ricardo, Charles Thurlow, Lee and Bob Rutigliano, Adrienne and John Rollo, Glenda and Dick Hargreaves. No additions/deletions of the Secretary’s Report previously distributed via e-mail were offered.

The Treasurer’s Report was accepted after a discussion about a recent groomer repair bill of $2,000.00 +/- that had been paid after a conversation with JRFabrication. This precipated a discussion about the protocol to be followed when making arrangements for repairs, etc. Adrienne referred the group to our recently adopted By-laws which include specific guidelines to be followed. A discussion about past-practice ensued; it was pointed out that, historically, either Brady’s or Cushing has maintained our equipment. As discussed at previous meetings, both Al and Frank have expressed their willingness to evaluate/repair any equipment in lieu of “out-sourcing” the work, noting the club had recently paid a bill in the amount of $1,021.75 to Frechettes Skidoo for parts/labor for repairs to a Skandic. These repairs may have been done, at least in part, by them (Al and Frank); but they were not approached to be involved with either of the above projects. Al expressed his preference of Cushing in Farmington to be our choice for necessary repairs given their reputation for excellent work, adding that he had a recent conversation with the owner to confirm their willingness to be of service to our club. Some members of the club expessed their desires to see the new groomer in action, and to follow-up on the possible availability of a drag (which had been discussed previously). The desire to review the specifications/operating manual, etc. was expressed by some members

Reflecting on the club’s decreasing assets from ($25,000.00 as of January 6, 2019 to $6,800.00 on April 7), a discussion about fund-raising projects ensued. Suggestions included a poker rally next season; golf scramble this summer; consideration of exchanging the groomer at some point for a newer one in hopes of receiving a grant.

Another Reflection (Expressed by Glenda in reference to the decline in active members in the club) was the group snowmobile trips to restaurants, etc. in the area. Other members agreed, suggesting we address this concern next season.

Plans for the 2019-20 Snowmobile season which begins in September include the following:

*A Club meeting is scheduled for June 10th. beginning at 6:00 p.m. at the Library

Agenda: 1. Make Plans for Landowners’ Outing to be held at the Forster-

Ricardo Farm on August 18th. (elect officers for 2019-20)

2. Make Plans for organizing work crews to begin trail work ASAP.

a.Inventory of bridges and needed supplies for rebuilding.

1.What materials to use: timbers or culverts?

a.Bob and Lee will present research on costs/availability,etc

of culverts.

NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

September 8, 2019

MINUTES

The first meeting of the new snowmobile season was held at the Forster Ricardo Farm in conjunction with the annual landowner’s picnic. The meeting was called to order by outgoing Secretary/Treasurer Richard Hargreaves at approximately 11:20 a.m.

Those present included Glenda Hargreaves, Al Thurlow, Jan Thurlow, Bob Rutigliano, Lee Rutigliano, Alden Wattles, Ann Wattles, Frank Forster, Lynne Ricardo, John Rollo and Adrienne Rollo.

The minutes of the July 28, 2019 meeting were approved as written.

Old Business:

Discussion took place on the trail from Mountain Rd. to Route 234 and the lack of landowner permission through the Tuttle property. It was agreed to allow Maine game warden Rick Laflamme to contact the property owner and try to obtain permission once again.

Also discussed was property owned by Karl Knight and an old county road that may be a viable choice for a new trail. Frank and Alden will check it out.

Also McCloskey property on the Gould Rd. is a question mark for landowner permission. Property was recently sold and is currently gated and locked.

At this point the meeting was put on hold for our picnic. The meeting was restarted again after the picnic.

Election of Officers:

President Frank Forster

Vice President Al Thurlow

Secretary Adrienne Rollo

Treasurer Bob Rutigliano

Trail Master: Alden Wattles

Lynne Ricardo

Directors at Large Lee Rutigliano

Glenda Hargreaves

New Vineyard North Snowmobile Club

September 8, 2019

Page 2

Membership Chair Adrienne Rollo

Jan Thurlow

MSA Directors Lynne Ricardo

Adrienne Rollo

Safety Officer: Alden Wattles

Club Reporter: Richard Hargreaves

New Business:

After a lengthy discussion it was agreed that the club would close the trail from the Mountain Rd. to Route 234 and beyond through John Maki’s property to ITS 84. Lack of landowner permission from Tuttle and the need for two bridges leaves us no other choice but to close it down. This closure means that we will have just one trail (instead of two) from Porter Lake to ITS 84 in New Portland. Taylor Hill will also remain open.

Facebook:

Bob Rutigliano expressed concerns regarding the club’s Facebook page currently managed by former club member Samantha Ellis. Samantha needs to take down her page in order for Bob to create a new page. Glenda and Bob will contact the Ellis family together to make this request.

Flag Account:

It was determined that funds for the flags that fly in New Vineyard are in a personal account unrelated to the club’s accounts.

The next meeting will be held on Sunday, October 6that 6 p.m. in the Community Room. A preliminary date of December 15thwas set for a Yankee Swap at the Forster Ricardo Farm.

New Vineyard North Snowmobile Club

September 8, 2019

Page 3

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 2:38 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

ADDENDUM:

The meeting was reopened and it was voted upon to grant Doug Nile an honorary membership in the club due to his extreme generosity in assisting the club with trail work for a number of years.

NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

October 6, 2019

MINUTES

The meeting was called to order by President Frank Forster at 6 p.m. in the Community Room of the New Vineyard Public Library. Nine members were present.

The minutes of the September 8, 2019 meeting were approved as written.

The Treasurer’s report was accepted as presented.

The club’s membership list to date was distributed by club treasurer Bob Rutigliano and corrections noted.

Super raffle tickets from MSA were also distributed by Bob. They are due in by the end of November.

Trail maintenance worksheets were distributed by club secretary Adrienne Rollo.

The MSA scholarship fund is seeking donations from various clubs. No determination was made on this request as of this date.

Old Business:

Bob Rutigliano noted that Samantha Ellis has requested that Facebook take down the club page that she created. Bob will create a new Facebook page in its place and try to generate interest and membership in our club.

New Business:

§ Signs – now is the time to order new signs from the Bureau of Parks and Lands for our trail system. Dick and Bob will check on our inventory and determine what is needed. The deadline for ordering is October 11th. Frank Forster will post signs denoting closed trails from the mountain trail to Route 234 and beyond through John Maki’s property to ITS 84.

§ It was noted that the Landowner Liability brochure issued by the Maine Dept. of Conservation should be distributed to any new landowners along with their permission form.

§ Bridge Work – it was determined that the bridge located behind the store will need heavy equipment in order to make repairs. The riverbank is eroding away on one side and the bridge must be lifted up in order to secure it. Frank has recently left a message for Doug Nile to contact him. No response from Doug as of this date. The club will also contact Duffer Luce to request his assistance with this project.

§ Tom Holbrook, fire chief of New Vineyard, attended the meeting briefly to inquire as to where our club machines are stored in case there is a need for a rescue on the trails. All machines are stored in Katie Wattles barn on Taylor Hill Rd.

§ Groomer – Frank recently worked on the groomer for a two-week period and reported that it is presently in running condition. However it has a sheared shaft from last season and the subsequent repairs were determined to be

§ unacceptable. The shaft would continue to be problematic in the future. It was agreed upon and voted on to put this machine up for sale as soon as possible. Presently the club is considering a purchase price of $14,900. Dick Hargreaves will notify Joe Higgins at the Dept. of Conservation of our intent to sell and ask his opinion on what an appropriate asking price would be. Some recommendations were to replace this groomer with a new Bombi or a possible trade-in for a side by side with a track kit.

Other:

Club members voted to send Ann Wattles a plant and best wishes for a speedy recovery after her recent surgery.

The MSA Snowmobile Show will be held at the Augusta Civic Center on October 18, 19 and 20.

On October 25than event known as Trunk or Treat will be held in the Maine Wood Turning parking lot. The club will distribute candy to kids as well as try to sell raffle tickets or sign up new members.

The next meeting will be held on Sunday, November 3rd at 6 p.m. in the Community Room.

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

Secretary

NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

November 3, 2019

MINUTES

President Frank Forster called the meeting to order at 6:04 p.m. in the Community Room of the New Vineyard Public Library. Members present included Lynne Ricardo, Alden Wattles, Bob Rutigliano, Lee Rutigliano, Al Thurlow, Jan Thurlow, John Rollo, Adrienne Rollo and David Fletcher.

The minutes of the October 6, 2019 meeting were approved as written.

The Treasurer’s report was approved as presented.

Old Business:

The bridge behind the store has been repositioned properly thanks to Duffer Luce. Work was recently completed and is now safe for travel. The club will send Duffer a gift card to Hannaford for his generous donation of time and heavy equipment.

FACEBOOK – Bob noted that our new page is up and running on FB as well as on the town’s website. Clicking on “Resources” will provide links to both FB and the North New Vineyard S.C.

The club had a display at TRUNK OR TREAT on October 25thin conjunction with the library. It was attended by many area children however it was noted that attendance was not as great as last year. Bob offered to create business style club cards to be handed out for future events.

New Business:

· The bridge that crosses Carl Knight’s property on the Mountain Road is also in need of repair. Frank and Alden to check it out.

· TRAIL WORK has begun! The north trail from Bog Rd. to ITS 84 has been cleared of blow down which is significant after the recent windstorm. This trail will only be open to local traffic this season. David reported that he has cleared the trail from the lake to Cedar Drive.

TRAIL WORK from the Bates Farm to the Holbrook Farm has been scheduled for Sunday, November 10th. Meet at the store at 11 a.m. Bring ATV’s, chain saws, loping shears, clippers, etc. Lynne offered to notify Randy Bates of work to be done.

· A pole saw needs to be purchased from Osgood. Frank and Alden are discussing options on what would best serve the club’s needs.

· SIGNING – John and Dick to start signing this week

· GROOMER – ad has been placed with the Dept. of Conservation and our groomer is now on the market. Farmington SC has inquired but no offers yet.

· CLUB SLEDS – Al noted that our machines should be serviced soon at Cushing’s before the rush begins. There is a $400 limit per sled per the club’s bylaws.

· DRAGS – discussion took place on the property next to Our Village Market and whether or not we could house the drags at this location. David offered to keep a drag at his house if need be

Other Business:

Adrienne will contact Joe Higgins at the Dept. of Conservation and notify him that 5 miles of our trail system will be closed for the upcoming season.

The next meeting will be held on Sunday, December 15that the Forster Ricardo farm at 1 p.m. in conjunction with a Yankee Swap Christmas party. Each person is asked to bring a gift ($10 limit). Potluck is requested – desserts only.

REMINDER: All paperwork relating to trail work for this season will be due at this time.

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:16 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

Secretary

NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

December 15, 2019

MINUTES

President Frank Forster called the meeting to order at 1:30 p.m. at the Forster Ricardo Farm. Members present included Lynne Ricardo, Alden Wattles, Ann Wattles, Bob Rutigliano, Lee Rutigliano, Al Thurlow, Jan Thurlow, John Rollo, Adrienne Rollo, Richard Hargreaves, Glenda Hargreaves, David Fletcher, Nicole Fletcher and children.

The minutes of the November 3, 2019 meeting were approved as written.

The Treasurer’s report was approved as presented.

Old Business:

· The bridge that crosses Carl Knight’s property on the Mountain Road is in need of repair. Frank and Alden to check it out.

· TRAIL WORK continues. It was reported that the only section of trail work remaining is from Parlin Road to the Lane farm.

· POLE SAW – yet to be purchased from Osgood. Frank and Alden are discussing options on what would best serve the club’s needs.

· SIGNING – signs are posted on ITS 84 in New Vineyard indicating trail closed and bridge out. Signs needed on Parlin Rd. indicating same and on ITS 84 in New Portland.

· GROOMER – an offer for $12,500 was made by the New Sharon Snow Riders Club. Members voted unanimously to accept this offer.

· CLUB SLEDS – Alden noted that the sleds were serviced and ready to go.

· DRAGS – all drags will remain at Katie Wattles farm for the 2019-2020 season.

New Business:

· NEW TRAIL – Alden announced a new trail that will begin near Bill Hargreaves field and proceed over Baud’s Pond and through Katie Wattles farm to Bog Road. This will connect with the existing trail that continues on to ITS 84 in New Vineyard. The proposed trail will require a replacement bridge to be built over Lemon Stream but it is expected to be open this season.

Other Business:

· Bob will update membership info.

· Adrienne to notify Joe Higgins of the new proposed trail. He will need to update our trail map.

The next meeting will be held Sunday, January 5that 6 p.m. in the New Vineyard Community Room.

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:10 p.m.

Following our meeting was our annual Christmas party and Yankee Swap. Glenda led the way with a revised version of The Price is Right. Everyone had to guess the price of local items to determine who would get to go first for gift selection. A fun time was had by all especially Erin and Megan. Thank you Glenda for another fun swap!

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

Secretary

NEW VINEYARD NORTH SNOWMOBILE CLUB

January 5, 2020

MINUTES

President Frank Forster called the meeting to order at 6 p.m. in the New Vineyard Community Room. Members present included Lynne Ricardo, David Fletcher, Alden Wattles, Bob Rutigliano, Lee Rutigliano, John Rollo, Adrienne Rollo, Richard Hargreaves and Glenda Hargreaves.

The minutes of the December 15, 2019 meeting were approved as written.

The Treasurer’s report was approved as presented.

Old Business:

· The bridge that crosses Carl Knight’s property on the Mountain Road remains in need of repair. Alden and John to check it out.

· POLE SAW – yet to be purchased from Osgood.

· SIGNING – signs still needed on Parlin Rd. indicating that trail is closed and also on the Anson Valley Road next to John Maki.

· DRAGS – David Fletcher requested that one drag be kept at his property to be used from the lake to Taylor Hill.

New Business:

· TRAIL WORK - all trail work has been completed to this date. The trail off the lake is open, silt fencing has been removed and the ramp has been placed. It was reported that a property owner on Bog Road (Dennis Wentworth) has been grooming the north section of the trail out to ITS 84. Bob, Lynne and John will pay a visit Dennis and present an honorary membership to him for his good will to the club.

· NEW TRAIL – Alden announced that the new bridge is in place over Lemon Stream. Planks are still needed to complete this project. Landowner permission was granted by Thomas Richardson during the 2018-2019 season to cross his property located at Map R7, Lot 12 and more recently by Hayden York, Map R7, Lot 13A. Both agreements have been made verbally and noted as such. Mr. Richardson has since deceased.

Other Business:

· NEW MEMBERS – Frank and Linda Duggan have recently joined the club.

· SALES TAX EXEMPTION – Frank will check with the State of Maine on the procedure for filing for this exemption.

· TRAIL MAP - Bob requested a copy of the proposed trail map that was submitted to Joe Higgins. A new trail map will be developed by Joe after he rides our trail system.

· RESCUE SLED - It was noted that the emergency recue sled for the town is stored at the fire station.

The next meeting will be held Sunday, February 9th at 6 p.m. in the New Vineyard Community Room.

With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:12 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Adrienne Rollo

Secretary